Have you been waiting for an update to your Nokia Lumia Icon to Windows Phone 8.1? Or any Lumia phone for that matter? Most carriers now are not supporting updates to the Lumia line like their should be.
This should take about an hour (faster, if you have fast WiFi speed). There is also a video tutorial, if you prefer to watch it instead of following each step by step!
If you’re interested in upgrading to Windows Phone 8.1… follow the following steps:
1) Make sure your phone is upgradable. You will need to have a Lumia with at least a X2X model or higher (i.e., 520, 620, 720, 820, 920, 1020, 1320, 1520), if you have a Lumia 800 or 900 (doesn’t have the X2X or X3X model number), your highest OS will be Windows Phone 7.8.
2) Make sure you have space on your phone. This update will eat up about 1-1.5 GB! After you have installed the update, you can move files and apps to and from your SD card (click here for video tutorial).
3) Go to https://appstudio.windows.com/en-us and sign up for an account (easier if you use the same LIVE email for your phone)
4) Download Preview for Developers from the app store (or click here to download it from the browser)
5) Log into the app (from your phone) with the same email that you used to create a log in with!
6) Open the app and “Enable Preview for Developers”
7) You will receive a “Success” window!
8) Update your phone. Go to Settings>System>Phone Update>Check for Updates
9) You will have to update your phone 4-7 times depending on how many updates your carriers did not provide.
10) Keep updating until there are no more updates!
If you have any questions, post a comment! If you liked it, share it! Let’s support Windows Phone!
Latest posts by Max Sandoval (see all)
- Unboxing the Google Pixel 5a 5G (and specs too)! - August 18, 2021
- How to get the new Samsung Galaxy Z Flip3 from T-Mobile for FREE! - August 11, 2021
- How to upgrade your Samsung Galaxy Book Pro 360. - June 7, 2021
- All of our Samsung Galaxy Book Pro 360 videos! - May 21, 2021
- Day 2 (Outdoor Usage and the Webcam) – 15″ Samsung Galaxy Book Pro 360 - May 16, 2021